Tuesday 26 January 2016

Deferring Dementia, p.95.... by physical exercise. YES.

Degenerative changes start in the hippocampus part of the brain in Alzheimer's disease.

Get this book: The Brain's Way of Healing  by Norman Doidge M.D. The information in this post is from this book. I have not read his earlier book, The Brain that Changes Itself. Yet.

I came back from the gym on Australia Day and felt great, even though I've still got to get my tax in order. I decided I wasn't going to get on to Duolingo and learn some more French. I was going to read. Non-fiction. Always non-fiction. Almost.

I was up to the part in The Brain's Way of Healing where Pepper was walking through his Parkinson's Disease symptoms and strategies. And the mice. And the rats. Of course.

I then got up to the part that said, 'Exercise was the most powerful contributor to decreased risk of both general cognitive decline and dementia.' This statement was made after a 30 year study done on a group of 2,235 men living in Wales by Dr. Peter Elwood and a team.

Other studies showed that exercise increased the size of the hippocampus.They still do not know whether incorporating mostly aerobic exercise would defer dementia indefinitely, but something to remember is that dementia is not inevitable in a long life.

To reduce the mental decline even further, follow a healthy diet, be a normal weight, have a low alcohol intake, and don't smoke.


Absolutely  Flabless 24/7 gym
Brighton, Qld, Australia
Prevent mental decline.
Get moving.
Tip.
It's a bit bleeding obvious....
Prevent mental decline.
Get moving.








No comments:

Post a Comment